Best songs of 2009.
For some reason, 35. Youtube links where available.
- Massive Attack – Splitting the Atom
Dark, soulful hip-hop. Horace Andy at his best.
- Animal Collective – My Girls
Trippy synths, but the melody just keeps on sticking.
- The Kleptones – Voodoo Sabotage
A mashup of two epic dancefloor anthems.
- Eels – That Look You Give That Guy
Hands down the best song about jealousy.
- Wilco – Wilco (The Song)
Wilco will love you baby.
- Mason Proper – Get Innocuous/Love Lockdown
I prefer this over Kanye’s version anytime.
- Doves – Kingdom of Rust
The reason Coldplay doesn’t deserve to be that famous.
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Heads Will Roll (A-Trak remix)
Anticipated remix, and A-Trak delivers. Close to the original.
- Röyksopp – The Girl and the Robot (Spencer and Hill remix)
Great vocals by Robyn, this interpretation just adds a little disco spice.
- The Whitest Boy Alive – Islands
Erlend Öye and electronic pop.
- The Prodigy – Warrior’s Dance
An underrated dancefloor filler with clever sampling. Great clip too.
- Bloc Party – One More Chance (Alex Metric remix)
One more chance to remix.
- Johnny Berlin – Find What You Love And Let It Kill You
Upcoming Belgian group, great track.
- Muse – Unnatural Selection
Speaks in a language we’ll understand.
- Radiohead – These Are My Twisted Words
Radiohead still in rainbows.
- Robert Del Naja – Herculaneum
From the ‘Gomorrah‘ soundtrack.
- Vampire Weekend – Horchata
From their upcoming Contra album.
- Tiger Mendoza – Missing On The Motorway (Dj Shadow remix)
An excellent mashup in the Dj Shadow remix contest.
- Moby – Pale Horses
Moby at his most depressing. And beautiful.
- Editors – Papillon
New Wave is back.
- Lykke Li – Knocked Up (Death To The Trone Remix)
Excellent cover of the Kings of Leon song, spiced up in the remix. (Pretty good live version here)
- DJ Earworm – Heartless In A Bottle
Sting, Kanye West and The Black Eyed Peas in the mix. Not what you expect.
- Imogen Heap – Thriller
The best Michael Jackson tribute around.
- Empire of the Sun – We Are The People
One-hit wonder? Sounds very MGMT-ish.
- Das Pop – Underground
Finally the Das Pop album was released. Listen to the arrangements on this one.
- Beastie Boys – Ch-Ch-Check it Out (Timoshii Remix)
- The Bird and The Bee – Don’t Stop The Music (Rihanna Cover)
Turns the silly generic pop song into an elegant ballad.
- Daan – Exes
I won’t even think about classifying this.
- Moby – Disco Lies (The Dusty Kid’s Fears Remix)
Haunting minimal remix which has little to do with the original.
- The Gossip – Heavy Cross (Fred Falke Remix)
Just a small upgrade on an already great tune.
- Mumford & Sons – Little Lion Man
2010 will be the year of folk and gypsy.
- Placebo – Speak in Tongues
Best track off their new album. Should have been the first single.
- Röyksopp – True To Life
Great producing, vocals and inventive dance.
- Mr. Oizo – ErreurJean (Arveene & Misk remix)
Rock-solid french electro.
- Bat For Lashes – Use Somebody (Kings of Leon cover)
Fragile cover of the Kings of Leon song.